What we do
What we doOne person in three in the world lives in poverty. Oxfam is determined to change that world by mobilising the power of people against poverty. Around the globe, Oxfam works to find practical, innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty and thrive. We save lives and help rebuild livelihoods when crisis strikes. And we campaign so that the voices of the poor influence the local and global decisions that affect them. In all we do, Oxfam works with partner organisations and alongside vulnerable women and men to end the injustices that cause poverty. Operating at all levels — from individual households to global forums — Oxfam Australia strives to:
- save lives before, during, and after humanitarian crises
- work locally with people and communities to support their development and influence policies and practices that will reduce poverty
- influence governments, institutions and businesses to develop and implement laws, policies and practices that help people rise out of poverty.
Working in partnership to deliver programs that change people’s livesOxfam Australia works with hundreds of program partners: small and large organisations working locally to deliver programs that help to save lives and tackle poverty and injustice in practical and innovative ways. We also work with our partners and allies to deliver programs at the national and international level. By developing relationships with organisations, coalitions and movements that share our values, we aim to address the root causes of poverty, vulnerability and injustice. Adopting this approach means that the people and communities we seek to benefit develop their own equitable and long-lasting solutions as well as the confidence and skills to voice and claim their rights.
Contributing to long-term developmentPoor people can take control, solve their own problems, and rely on themselves – if they receive the right support. We fund long-term projects around the world and work in a range of areas, from water and sanitation to education and health, to bring about positive change in people’s lives.
Campaigning for changePoverty has many complex causes, which means that there is no single, quick, or easy solution. Long-term change of the necessary scale requires more than just supporting people on the ground — it also requires political change, which is why our work must increase the power and self-determination of poor and disadvantaged people. In just the last two decades, 660 million people have risen out of poverty. We believe that with the necessary human action and political will, it is possible to achieve a world that is free of poverty. To achieve change, Oxfam Australia:
- works with local organisations to build their capacity to influence and effect change that improves the lives of poor people and enables them to voice and claim their rights
- supports women and first nations peoples to claim their rights and hold leadership roles in order to influence and achieve change
- brokers, mobilises, and participates in networks that influence governments, corporations and institutions to become more accountable and bring about sustainable and systemic change locally, and internationally
- brings together organisations that represent poor people, with relevant governments, corporations and institutions, so that they can discuss problems safely and with dignity, and work collaboratively to identify ways of redressing the imbalance of power.